Saturday, August 08, 2009

Day 3 – Peloponnese

Next morning I got up early, on my own, to walk to the National Museum of Archaeology and was the first in, having many of the rooms to myself. The famous geometric pot with the funeral scene, the giant Kore, then my favourite Zeus/Poseidon? Bronze, showing the absolute confidence of Greece at this time. Apollo with the apple and the astounding Delphic charioteer.

We then headed back to the airport to pick up hire cars, with the usual rip-off by the taxi drivers. Then off to Nafplion in the Peloponnese. Lunch at the seafront Napflion Taverna,opposite the permanently docked grey ship in the harbour, my favourite lunchtime restaurant in this town. It’s the traditional metal trays of slow cooked Greek food. Once ensconced in our villa, just up behind the main square, we walked round the peninsula to the town beach. Ate evening meal in our favourite beef stefado restaurant in street behind main square.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home