Friday, May 02, 2008

Day 14 - Beijing

Final meal
We took a taxi to our final restaurant and had some amazing fish and a final fling, followed by a session in a local bar – karaoke and all. I’ve never really got into karaoke. It seems to kill conversation – so I went out and sat out in the street to watch
Beijing go by.

One last thought - what I loved was the people, ot the cheap shopping, skyscrapers and modernity. What all of this maufacturing ad rush to modernity means is commoditisation. China is not an innovator. there was little in the way of things that was surprisig, fresh or new. The same copied stuff appeared everywhere. One yearned for a creativity, rather than copying. I suspect this has a lot to do with the eductioal system, with its Confucian conformity. It was disappointing to see MacDonald’s, KFC and Starbucks in all major towns and cities. I hope the Chinese don’t fall for this commoditised, US version of western culture.